The BAe Hawk T.1A is a two-seat basic and advanced jet trainer. In 1968, Hawker Siddeley Aviation started with
studies for a subsonic trainer capable of carrying armaments designated the HS.1182. The studies led in 1972 to
orders for 176 airframes for the Royal Air Force. In 1973, the aircraft was renamed Hawk. The prototype HSA Hawk T.1
flew on 21 August 1974, and the first two operational aircraft were handed over in November 1976. The Hawk T.1
entered RAF service in the advanced training and weapons training role. In 1977, Hawker Siddeley and the British
Aircraft Corporation merged into British Aerospace. In 1979, the Red Arrows aerobatic team adopted the BAe Hawk T.1.
From 1983 to 1986, 88 BAe Hawks T.1s were modified to carry two AIM-9L Sidewinder air-to-air missiles in addition
to the centreline gun pod for a single 30mm ADEN cannon. These aircraft were designated BAe Hawk T.1A.
On 6 September 1997, the RAF 100sqdn.' BAE Hawk T.1 XX250/CG was seen at Florennes AFB in Belgium. On 4 December 1978, BAe Hawk T.1A XX244
(s/n 321086) was delivered to the Royal Air Force as a Hawk T.1.