The Morane-Saulnier MS.317 is a two-seat parasol-wing aeroplane.
SA des Aéroplanes Morane-Saulnier was established in 1911 and had a long
history of designing and building aeroplanes. In the inter-war period,
Morane Saulnier started its series of high-wing parasol types. The
parasol-wing MS.230 that was flown first in February 1929 was the most
successful and became a prominent trainer during the 1930's. Its successor, the MS.315
a parasol-wing trainer powered by a 135hp Salmson 9 Nc engine, flew
first in October 1932. The MS.315 was ordered for the French Air Force
and 346 were built, including 33 after the war. Next to the Air Force
the Navy operated the M.S.315 as a military trainer and as a glider tug.
In the early sixties the type was withdrawn from military use and the
remaining about thirty MS 315 airframes were modified to enable it more for its
task as glider tug with the more powerful 220 hp Continental American W670 engine and renamed M.S.317.
Today about ten MS.317 are still in flying condition.
Morane Saulnier MS.317 F-BGIL was built in 1945 as a MS.315.
In 1946, the aircraft was delivered to L'Armee de l'air, where it was operated as "27" IU.
On 15 June 1954, the MS.315 was registered F-BGIL with SALS - Service de l'Aviation Légère et Sportive.
On 28 June 1963, after being modified and re-engined with a Continental W-670-6A engine, the F-BGIL was
registered as a Morane Saulnier MS.317 with A.C. de l'Aube at Troyes-Barberey. On 19 October 1972, the MS.317 was
registered with FFVV - Fédération Française de Vol à Voile. On 19 February 1979, the F-BGIL was registered with Aéro Rétro.
On 2 May 1984, registration F-BGIL was cancelled as exported. On 22 August 1984, the Morane Saulnier MS.317
was registered N315MS in the USA. However registered in the USA, the Morane Saulnier MS.317 N315MS stayed in Europe.
On 4 April 1991, registration N315MS was cancelled. On 12 March 1992, the Morane Saulnier MS.317 was registered OO-MOR
in Belgium with Flying Legends. On 10 August 2009, registration OO-MOR was cancelled as exported to Germany, where the
aircraft was registered D-EZOR the same month.
On 3 June 1984, when seen as F-BGIL at Luik-Bierset in Belgium, the
aeroplane was no longer registered in France.